Unless having a sure diagnosis of Celiac Disease which means no gluten what-so-ever, I believe in an 80%/20% diet which consists of just the lower 20% reserved for high quality, no GMO grains. The other 80% should consist of good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, grape-seed oil), proteins (fish such as wild pacific salmon, grass-fed beef, free range and non hormone chickens and eggs) and mostly vegetables consisting of as many different colors you can get in each meal, some raw, some lightly cooked and none with pesticides, preservatives, hormones or artificial flavors or colors. Cheese should be from grass-fed, free range animals and should be raw, such as a good, aged parmigiana. Milk products are worse for you and un-digestible the more the pasteurization and homogenization. Ultra-pasteurized is not only useless for the body but inflammatory. If you actually keep a diary of what you are eating daily for a week, I think you will be surprised at how many "fillers" such as breads, muffins, grains you are actually eating. The rule of thumb is to think about how you feel about an hour after you have eaten something. If you feel terrible, remove it from the diet for a couple of weeks and then see how you feel if you eat it again. You should have some functional blood-work to look for inflammatory bowel issues that might be causing deficiencies in your system. If you have any questions on these types of tests, please do not hesitate to contact me. I feel best myself in the 90%/10% range and try to reserve my 10% for when I am "cheating" or at a party. Please remember if you think you may have Celiac or gluten sensitivity/intolerance, on average it takes many different doctors and about 4 years of missed diagnoses and treatments. Don't stop looking for your answer until you feel energetic and vibrant again!
Yours in health,
Dr. Kimberly Maziarz Carlucci, DC
Dr. Kim Maziarz Carlucci, DC
I have been a chiropractor for since 1996 but an athlete since I played baseball with the boys in the early pee wee leagues. I continued with sports throughout my high school career: softball, basketball, skiing and competitive horseback riding. In chiropractic school I was introduced to functional exercise and structural rehabilitation and continue to do this type of exercise to this day with great success.